Thursday 10 July 2008

I arrived safely!

Hello everyone!

I've made it safely to Canterbury after traveling on plane, on two subways trains, on an over ground train and a taxi. It was a long trip! The Bishops do not officially get here until next Tuesday, July 15th, but since I am serving as a Steward, I am actively getting the campus ready with other Stewards before the Bishops arrival from all over the world. So far I've met other Anglicans who are serving as Stewards from India, Britain, East and South Africa, USA, Brazil, Japan, Burma and Taiwan.

As for work, we've been taking seminars on intercultural communication, conflict resolution and survey courses over the programme for the Lambeth Conference. We've also made a special trip into Canterbury to visit the Cathedral. An exciting thing is that we will be meeting the Queen at the Buckingham Palace on July 24th!

It's been quite exciting to be back here in Britain since the last time I was here was in 2001. Despite getting over the jet lag (it's an eight hour difference) and getting used to the constant tea and coffee breaks in between training sessions, my experience in Canterbury has been quite energizing. I am already learning so much about the Anglican Communion by talking with the other stewards who are around my age. It has also been exciting to start building friendships with Anglicans across the world. It has also been quite humbling to learn about how much I do not know and how much I have to learn. The 1-month in Canterbury is quite promising!

Well, I should write again soon but my goal is to consistently write when the Lambeth Conference actually begins on July 16th. I hope to update you with what is going on during the conference that you might stay connected first with the Anglican Communion and than with me, as I spend my first two months away from everyone at St. John's.

Thank you so much for your prayer and support! I miss everyone and I am praying for you!

1 comment:

Rev. Joanne said...

Mary Marjorie, I am so glad you are sharing your experience with us. I recently read the following statement by Bishop Trevor Selwyn Mwamba of Botswana, which seems to express the experience you are already having getting to know stewards from around the Anglican Communion. Bishop Mwamba said, "Let us then straight, gay, liberal, conservative, moderate, Anglo-Catholic, Evangelical, traditionalist, Africans and Americans, Asians, Europeans get into each other's worlds and be enriched in the discovery of our oneness in Christ and together enlarge God's kingdom of love where everybody has a seat at the table." Deacon Joanne.