Tuesday 29 July 2008

An Inclusive Eucharist

Hello everyone-

It seems as if I have been appointed to oversee an inclusive Eucharist for the stewards happening some time at the end of the week. I already have a few ideas for it. For the sermon, we are going to let a couple of stewards from non-Western Anglican churches to speak about their ministry in their parishes from where they are from. The prayers of the people are going to consist of all the stewards praying one to two sentences over their home parish. During the distribution of the Eucharist, the Celebrant will pass out the bread, but the cup will work through the circle (surrounding the altar in the center) as each steward serves the other on his or her left. The Celebrant will be my friend Isaac from Tanzania (well, hopefully...I haven't asked him yet). It's exciting...and something I really didn't expect to be doing for the stewards but I'm glad to be of service.

Rabbi Sir Jonathan Sacks (Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of the Commonwealth) spoke last night at the plenary session. He was amazing. I am going to try to get a manuscript of his speech titled, "Exposition of the Hebrew Scriptures: the relationship between the people and God- the Covenant" and get it to all of you somehow. It was the best session I've heard since being here.

I have a day off tomorrow! I think I might attend a session called "Islam in Africa- Islam in its Variety in Sub-Saharan Africa" or "Dialogue and Danger" as well as a dinner just between stewards and bishops including a conversation from us about some of the questions or concerns that we have about the Anglican Communion. It should be fun.

My friend who is living in Paris said I could sleep on his couch for the time that I will be staying in Paris. This will be my final stop on my four-week travels across the UK and into France. Cheese and wine here I come!


Good night!

No comments: